An examination of the leisure lives and general lifestyles of adolescents. A continuing longitudinal study is planned with further cross-sectional surveys in 1989 and 1991. Survey work is complemented by qualitative data (not currently included in this dataset) derived from a national interview panel of approximately 250 young people.
Participation rates (including frequency) in sport and leisure activities; attitudes towards sport and leisure, leisure-time associations and groupings. Knowledge of healthy behaviours, attitudes towards certain health behaviours, self-esteem, measures of mental stress.
General health questionnaire: Goldberg, D.P., Manual of the General Health Questionnaire, Windsor: NFER-Nelson, 1978 (12-item version).
Associated publications: Hendry, L., Lovenduski, J. and Shucksmith, J. (1989) Young people's leisure and lifestyles : : report of Phase 1, 1985-89, Edinburgh: Scottish Sports Council.
• Shucksmith, J., Hendry, L. and Lovenduski, J. (1989) Young people's leisure and lifestyles : : summary report of Phase 1, Edinburgh: Scottish Sports Council.
• Hendry, L., McCrae, J. and Shucksmith, J. (1988) Understanding young people's leisure and lifestyles : : the value of stage models?, [Discussion paper].Brighton: University of Sussex .
• Hendry, L., Cross, J. and Shucksmith, J. (1989) Young people's mental well-being in relation to leisure, [Discussion paper].Cambridge: Health Promotion Research Trust .
• Lovenduski, J., Hendry, L. and Shucksmith, J. (1990) 'As we see it : : young people's perspectives of leisure and lifestyle'
|Date made available||25 Aug 1990|
|Publisher||UK Data Service|
- Health Promotion Research Trust
- Scottish Sports Council