Role of gonadotropin-releasing hormone analogues in metastatic male breast cancer: results from a pooled analysis

Luigi Di Lauro, Laura Pizzuti, Maddalena Barba, Domenico Sergi, Isabella Sperduti, Marcella Mottolese, Carla Azzurra Amoreo, Franca Belli, Patrizia Vici, Valerie Speirs, Daniele Santini, Ruggero De Maria, Marcello Maugeri-Saccà

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

18 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

BACKGROUND: Male breast cancer is a rare malignancy. Despite the lack of prospectively generated data from trials in either the adjuvant or metastatic setting, patients are commonly treated with hormone therapies. Much controversy exists over the use of gonadotropin-releasing hormone analogues in metastatic male breast cancer patients. We conducted this study to provide more concrete ground on the use of gonadotropin-releasing hormone analogues in this setting.

METHODS: We herein present results from a pooled analysis including 60 metastatic male breast cancer patients treated with either an aromatase inhibitor or cyproterone acetate as a monotherapy (23 patients) or combined with a gonadotropin-releasing hormone analogue (37 patients).

RESULTS: Overall response rate was 43.5% in patients treated with monotherapy and 51.3% with combination therapy (p = 0.6). Survival outcomes favored combination therapy in terms of median progression-free survival (11.6 months versus 6 months; p = 0.05), 1-year progression-free survival rate (43.2% versus 21.7%; p = 0.05), median overall survival (29.7 months versus 22 months; p = 0.05), and 2-year survival rate (64.9% versus 43.5%; p = 0.05).

CONCLUSIONS: In metastatic male breast cancer patients, the combined use of gonadotropin-releasing hormone analogues and aromatase inhibitors or antiandrogens seems to be associated with greater efficacy, particularly in terms of survival outcomes, compared with monotherapy. Collectively, these results encourage considering these agents in the metastatic setting.

Original languageEnglish
Article number53
JournalHematological Oncology
Volume8
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 17 May 2015

Keywords

  • Adult
  • Aged
  • Aged, 80 and over
  • Aromatase Inhibitors
  • Breast Neoplasms, Male
  • Female
  • Gonadotropin-Releasing Hormone
  • Humans
  • Male
  • Middle Aged
  • Neoplasm Metastasis
  • Young Adult
  • Journal Article

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Role of gonadotropin-releasing hormone analogues in metastatic male breast cancer: results from a pooled analysis'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

  • Cite this

    Di Lauro, L., Pizzuti, L., Barba, M., Sergi, D., Sperduti, I., Mottolese, M., Amoreo, C. A., Belli, F., Vici, P., Speirs, V., Santini, D., De Maria, R., & Maugeri-Saccà, M. (2015). Role of gonadotropin-releasing hormone analogues in metastatic male breast cancer: results from a pooled analysis. Hematological Oncology, 8, [53]. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13045-015-0147-z