Scapa Flow Landscape Partnership Scheme Wartime Trail Research Project, Orkney (Walls and Flotta parish), Walkover Survey

Gavin James Lindsay

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Abstract

ND 30996 94650 (centred on) A walkover survey was undertaken on 9 November 2009 to identify surviving extant wartime buildings that were part of the Lyness Naval Base.These would form points of interest along the route of acircular, self guided leaflet trail. The survey identified 10 previously unknown sites.ND 3111 9487 A large military air raid shelter consisting of two double door entrances and dog legging passageways that end in a central rectangular cell with ceiling ventilation shafts. The shelter was constructed of cast reinforced concrete.ND 3102 9483 – ND 3106 9484 Two small Anderson type air raid shelters and the demolished remains of a third. They were constructed of prefabricated curving reinforced concrete sections bolted together along the central apex ofthe roof and built into the northern earth bund surrounding the WW2 Fleet Repair Base.ND 3097 9464 A small Anderson type air raid shelter of the same construction as those mentioned above. It is located between the rear wall of the pumping station (ND39SW 20.01) and the N–S aligned earth bund to the W of the pumphouse.ND 3114 9458 A concrete boat slipway originally built in WW1, deepened and issued with a new cradle in 1941 as part of the Boat Repair Works.ND 3104 9438 Drifter repair slipway constructed from reinforced concrete between the N and W piers (ND39SW 20.14 and ND39SW 17).ND 3112 9482 A base repair workshop building, part of the Fleet Repair Base. Large brick built shed with corrugated asbestos roof and large wooden sliding doors in E elevation.ND 3113 9479 A joinery shop and foundry building, part of the Fleet Repair Base and constructed in the same way as the repair workshop.ND 3039 9468 A naval signals station built of rectangular concrete, brick and corrugated asbestos and surrounded by a concrete blast wall. It served as the telephone and teleprinter exchange for Lyness Naval Base August 1939– September 1944.ND 2045 9459 A military observation site built of brick and rendered in concrete this rectangular building is identifiable by a small second storey tower observation post with thin horizontal slit windows. It is attached to a timber prefabricated hut which is in an advanced state of decay. The observation building served as the main control centre for the Lyness Naval Base Air Raid Precaution System.Report: Orkney SMR and RCAHMS
Funder: Scapa Flow Landscape Partnership Scheme
Gavin J Lindsay – ORCA

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)133-134
Number of pages2
JournalDiscovery and Excavation in Scotland
Volume11
Publication statusPublished - 2010

Fingerprint

Repair
Naval bases
Shipways
Brick
Concretes
Reinforced concrete
Asbestos
Boats
Air
Roofs
Earth (planet)
Teleprinters
Precast concrete
Piers
Ceilings
Timber
Foundries
Telephone
Towers
Ventilation

Cite this

Scapa Flow Landscape Partnership Scheme Wartime Trail Research Project, Orkney (Walls and Flotta parish), Walkover Survey. / Lindsay, Gavin James.

In: Discovery and Excavation in Scotland, Vol. 11, 2010, p. 133-134.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

@article{a0e104ae255c42dcb79d84929d9b2732,
title = "Scapa Flow Landscape Partnership Scheme Wartime Trail Research Project, Orkney (Walls and Flotta parish), Walkover Survey",
abstract = "ND 30996 94650 (centred on) A walkover survey was undertaken on 9 November 2009 to identify surviving extant wartime buildings that were part of the Lyness Naval Base.These would form points of interest along the route of acircular, self guided leaflet trail. The survey identified 10 previously unknown sites.ND 3111 9487 A large military air raid shelter consisting of two double door entrances and dog legging passageways that end in a central rectangular cell with ceiling ventilation shafts. The shelter was constructed of cast reinforced concrete.ND 3102 9483 – ND 3106 9484 Two small Anderson type air raid shelters and the demolished remains of a third. They were constructed of prefabricated curving reinforced concrete sections bolted together along the central apex ofthe roof and built into the northern earth bund surrounding the WW2 Fleet Repair Base.ND 3097 9464 A small Anderson type air raid shelter of the same construction as those mentioned above. It is located between the rear wall of the pumping station (ND39SW 20.01) and the N–S aligned earth bund to the W of the pumphouse.ND 3114 9458 A concrete boat slipway originally built in WW1, deepened and issued with a new cradle in 1941 as part of the Boat Repair Works.ND 3104 9438 Drifter repair slipway constructed from reinforced concrete between the N and W piers (ND39SW 20.14 and ND39SW 17).ND 3112 9482 A base repair workshop building, part of the Fleet Repair Base. Large brick built shed with corrugated asbestos roof and large wooden sliding doors in E elevation.ND 3113 9479 A joinery shop and foundry building, part of the Fleet Repair Base and constructed in the same way as the repair workshop.ND 3039 9468 A naval signals station built of rectangular concrete, brick and corrugated asbestos and surrounded by a concrete blast wall. It served as the telephone and teleprinter exchange for Lyness Naval Base August 1939– September 1944.ND 2045 9459 A military observation site built of brick and rendered in concrete this rectangular building is identifiable by a small second storey tower observation post with thin horizontal slit windows. It is attached to a timber prefabricated hut which is in an advanced state of decay. The observation building served as the main control centre for the Lyness Naval Base Air Raid Precaution System.Report: Orkney SMR and RCAHMS Funder: Scapa Flow Landscape Partnership Scheme Gavin J Lindsay – ORCA",
author = "Lindsay, {Gavin James}",
year = "2010",
language = "English",
volume = "11",
pages = "133--134",
journal = "Discovery and Excavation in Scotland",
issn = "0419-411X",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Scapa Flow Landscape Partnership Scheme Wartime Trail Research Project, Orkney (Walls and Flotta parish), Walkover Survey

AU - Lindsay, Gavin James

PY - 2010

Y1 - 2010

N2 - ND 30996 94650 (centred on) A walkover survey was undertaken on 9 November 2009 to identify surviving extant wartime buildings that were part of the Lyness Naval Base.These would form points of interest along the route of acircular, self guided leaflet trail. The survey identified 10 previously unknown sites.ND 3111 9487 A large military air raid shelter consisting of two double door entrances and dog legging passageways that end in a central rectangular cell with ceiling ventilation shafts. The shelter was constructed of cast reinforced concrete.ND 3102 9483 – ND 3106 9484 Two small Anderson type air raid shelters and the demolished remains of a third. They were constructed of prefabricated curving reinforced concrete sections bolted together along the central apex ofthe roof and built into the northern earth bund surrounding the WW2 Fleet Repair Base.ND 3097 9464 A small Anderson type air raid shelter of the same construction as those mentioned above. It is located between the rear wall of the pumping station (ND39SW 20.01) and the N–S aligned earth bund to the W of the pumphouse.ND 3114 9458 A concrete boat slipway originally built in WW1, deepened and issued with a new cradle in 1941 as part of the Boat Repair Works.ND 3104 9438 Drifter repair slipway constructed from reinforced concrete between the N and W piers (ND39SW 20.14 and ND39SW 17).ND 3112 9482 A base repair workshop building, part of the Fleet Repair Base. Large brick built shed with corrugated asbestos roof and large wooden sliding doors in E elevation.ND 3113 9479 A joinery shop and foundry building, part of the Fleet Repair Base and constructed in the same way as the repair workshop.ND 3039 9468 A naval signals station built of rectangular concrete, brick and corrugated asbestos and surrounded by a concrete blast wall. It served as the telephone and teleprinter exchange for Lyness Naval Base August 1939– September 1944.ND 2045 9459 A military observation site built of brick and rendered in concrete this rectangular building is identifiable by a small second storey tower observation post with thin horizontal slit windows. It is attached to a timber prefabricated hut which is in an advanced state of decay. The observation building served as the main control centre for the Lyness Naval Base Air Raid Precaution System.Report: Orkney SMR and RCAHMS Funder: Scapa Flow Landscape Partnership Scheme Gavin J Lindsay – ORCA

AB - ND 30996 94650 (centred on) A walkover survey was undertaken on 9 November 2009 to identify surviving extant wartime buildings that were part of the Lyness Naval Base.These would form points of interest along the route of acircular, self guided leaflet trail. The survey identified 10 previously unknown sites.ND 3111 9487 A large military air raid shelter consisting of two double door entrances and dog legging passageways that end in a central rectangular cell with ceiling ventilation shafts. The shelter was constructed of cast reinforced concrete.ND 3102 9483 – ND 3106 9484 Two small Anderson type air raid shelters and the demolished remains of a third. They were constructed of prefabricated curving reinforced concrete sections bolted together along the central apex ofthe roof and built into the northern earth bund surrounding the WW2 Fleet Repair Base.ND 3097 9464 A small Anderson type air raid shelter of the same construction as those mentioned above. It is located between the rear wall of the pumping station (ND39SW 20.01) and the N–S aligned earth bund to the W of the pumphouse.ND 3114 9458 A concrete boat slipway originally built in WW1, deepened and issued with a new cradle in 1941 as part of the Boat Repair Works.ND 3104 9438 Drifter repair slipway constructed from reinforced concrete between the N and W piers (ND39SW 20.14 and ND39SW 17).ND 3112 9482 A base repair workshop building, part of the Fleet Repair Base. Large brick built shed with corrugated asbestos roof and large wooden sliding doors in E elevation.ND 3113 9479 A joinery shop and foundry building, part of the Fleet Repair Base and constructed in the same way as the repair workshop.ND 3039 9468 A naval signals station built of rectangular concrete, brick and corrugated asbestos and surrounded by a concrete blast wall. It served as the telephone and teleprinter exchange for Lyness Naval Base August 1939– September 1944.ND 2045 9459 A military observation site built of brick and rendered in concrete this rectangular building is identifiable by a small second storey tower observation post with thin horizontal slit windows. It is attached to a timber prefabricated hut which is in an advanced state of decay. The observation building served as the main control centre for the Lyness Naval Base Air Raid Precaution System.Report: Orkney SMR and RCAHMS Funder: Scapa Flow Landscape Partnership Scheme Gavin J Lindsay – ORCA

M3 - Article

VL - 11

SP - 133

EP - 134

JO - Discovery and Excavation in Scotland

JF - Discovery and Excavation in Scotland

SN - 0419-411X

ER -