My research interests focus on the design and delivery of dietary intervention studies. Key interests include:
- Clinical and dietary intervention trials assessing how diets, foods and nutrients affect cardiovascular disease risk and risk factors, and resilience to disease development;
- Personalised and precision nutrition aiming to understand the individual responses to dietary interventions in order to develop more comprehensive, precise and dynamic dietary recommendations that are targeted to individuals or groups of individuals;
- Modelling healthy, sustainable and affordable diets - identify facilitators and barriers for adopting the most effective personalised food swaps for making individual diets healthier and environmentally sustainable, whilst at the same time not increasing cost to the consumer;
- Food system research and human health outcomes, especially in relation to mapping seafood production to consumption and dietary guidelines.
- External reviewer of the BSc Human Nutrition programme, University College Dublin, Dublin (2018-2022)
- Member of the NuGO Management Board (2020- present)
- Editor for the journal ‘American Journal of Clinical Nutrition (2021-present)
- Senior Editor for journal Molecular Nutrition and Food Research (2014-2018)
- Member of the International Academic Advisory Board of By-Health, the largest nutraceutical company in China (2017-present)
- Member of the Scientific Review Board of the DietBB competence clusters, DLR Project Management Agency, Health Research, Berlin (2017-2018)
- Member of the Scientific Review Board of the Institute of Food Research (now Quadram Institute Bioscience), Norwich (2015)
- Member of the European Nutrition Leadership Alumni Association (current)
- Yiannis Mavrommatis (2005-2008): The effects of dietary long chain n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids on soluble epoxide hydroase and related markers of cardiovascualr health.
- Luisa Ostertag (2007-2011): The impact of dietary polyphenols on human platelets integrating functional and nutrigenomic analyses
- Lisa Michel (2008-2011): Role for endocannabinoids in the cellular mechanisms of the anti-atherosclerotic effects of eicosapentanoic acid
- Eva-Maria Bachmair (2009-2012): Modulation of human platelet function by conjugated linoleic acid from a proteomics and functional perspective
- Xuguang Zhang (2011-2014): Blood cell-derived microparticles as a potential index of inflammatory processes, and their modulation by components of the diet
- Dominic Partridge (2014-2019): Development of nutritional and exercise strategies to increase resilience and improve health outcomes in a target population
- Teresa Grohmann (2016-2020): Efficacy of flavonoid-rich bilberry and grape seed extracts to modulate metabolic risk factors for Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus development
- Khairun Nafisa Sumali (2017-2020): New Approaches to Model and Measure the Effects of Fish and Fish Fatty Acids on Metabolic Health Outcomes in South Asian Population
- Ansu Rachel Mathew (2017-2020): Investigating the interaction between Selenium and Vitamin D and their effects on oxidative stress and monocyte-endothelial cell adhesion and relevance to atherosclerosis
- Anneli Lofstedt (2017-2021): Strategies to balance enhanced fish consumption with sustainable fish production
- Tilly Potter (2018-2023): Modelling individual responses to healthier diets and new ways to quantify the importance of physiology and behaviour for successful dietary chang
In the past years I have led and facilitated the successful Rowett expansion in Nutrition postgraduate teaching (PGT), from the delivery of a 1-year MSc Human Nutrition programme (since 1984) to that of a portfolio of face-to-face and new on-line MSc programmes, courses, a Massive Open Online course (MOOC) and Continuing Professional Development (CPD) (‘on demand’) offerings.
I have developed a Rowett teaching strategy that ensures that we capitalise on recent successes to ensure that we can sustain and further develop the growth of our nutrition PGT and CPD nutrition programmes and courses. I pro-actively participate in the development and delivery of on-campus lectures (Foundation of Nutrition, Nutrition & Health, Molecular Nutrition and Clinical Nutrition courses) and on-line content and discussion forums (Fundamentals of Human Nutrition and Metabolism, Clinical Nutrition for Disease Prevention, Nutrition and Health through the Life Stages courses, Food Choice and Behaviour CPD, Nutrition and Wellbeing MOOC).